Bonaire planning to develop the sport of volleyball
BONAIRE, April 16, 2012 - Bonaire is just starting to take baby
steps in the game but is determined to go all the way to
developing the sport of volleyball in the island and with the
help of NORCECA through its development program, they have a lot
They recently took part in the CAZOVA Women’s Junior
Championship held in St. Croix, Virgin Islands.
Firstly there is a partnership with the primary schools to start
the development of volleyball in schools and through this, start
a program for talented players starting with kids of 10 to 12
Also the federation is planning to start helping with material
in the high school so that they can start competition in the
different ages and more children can learn to play volleyball.
Competition will follow to assist the Federation identifying
talent for national youth and junior team programmes.
The federation also have plans to begin working with the
community centres and organise tournaments for kids helping them
with material and starting tournaments to introduce the sport to
The federation will continue with the mini volleyball
championship to strengthten the base for volleyball. The senior
championship will continue with more club teams.
In a summary:
- Start a talent programme for kids from 10-12 years.
- Start with tournaments under the children of the high school.
- Start working with the communities centres to promote
- Organizations of courses for the coaches
- To form a commission of referees.
- To get help from NORCECA to upgrade coaches.
- To have different selections in training full time.